711.6 Transportation of NonSchool Groups
School district vehicles may be made available to local non-profit entities which promote cultural, educational, civic, community, or recreational activities for transporting to and from non-school sponsored activities within the state as long as the transportation does not interfere with or disrupt the education program of the school district and does not interfere with or delay the transportation of students. The local non-profit entity must pay the cost of using the school district vehicle as per the current fee schedule. Prior to making the school district transportation vehicle available to the local non-profit entity, the school bus signs shall be covered and the flashing warning lamps and the stop arm made inoperable.
Any use of school district vehicles by non-school groups shall be subject to the following guidelines:
- Requests must be made a minimum of one week in advance. If the request interferes or conflicts with school district use of the vehicle, the request will be denied. The final decision of whether a request will be granted is within the discretion of the administration.
- Requests must be made by recognized youth organizations and/or groups or organizations sponsoring projects in the interest of the local community, state or national benefit or welfare.
- The rental period will be negotiated directly with the administration.
- Adult chaperones may be required to accompany the bus driver and riders.
- All requests will be charged bus and driver fees.
- Alcoholic beverages and tobacco products are prohibited on school district vehicles.
- Whenever damage caused by vandalism or carelessness results, the group shall reimburse the school district for cost of repairs and may be denied further use of school district vehicles.
Legal Reference: Iowa Code §§ 285.1(21), .10(9), (10).
281 I.A.C. 43.10.
- Series 700 Auxiliary Services