Skip To Main Content

501.7 Student Transfers Out

If the student’s parents wish to withdraw or transfer the student from school prior to completing and graduating from the education program, they will notify the superintendent in writing as soon as possible of the decision to withdraw or transfer the student from the education program. The student or parent should present this written notice at the office and receive instructions regarding the return of textbooks, library books, locker equipment, hot lunch tickets, etc.

The notice will state the student’s final day of attendance. If the student is not enrolling in another school district, the school district will maintain the student’s records in the same manner as the records of students who have graduated from the school district.

If the parents wish to have the student’s cumulative record sent to the new school district, the parents will notify the superintendent in writing. This notice will include the name of the school district and the person at the new school district to whom the student’s cumulative records be sent. If the new school district requests the student’s cumulative records, the school district will forward the cumulative records and notify the parents the records have been sent. The notice will inform the parents of their right to review the records sent.

If the student is of compulsory education age and not transferring to another public school district or an accredited nonpublic school, the parents will notify the superintendent that the student is receiving competent private instruction and file the necessary competent private instruction reports.

Legal Reference:  20 U.S.C. § 1232g.
Iowa Code §§ 274.1; 299.1-.1A; 299A.11

Cross Reference:  501 Student Attendance
506 Student Records
604.1 Competent Private Instruction

Adopted:  Unknown
Modified:  05/17/21
Reviewed:  05/03/21

  • Series 500 Students