401.12R1 Employee Use of Cell Phones Regulation
Cell Phone Usage
- Cell phones shall be used in a manner that does not disrupt instruction and should not be used during school-sponsored programs, meetings, in-services, or other events where there exists a reasonable expectation of quiet attentiveness unless there is a reason of personal health or safety involved.
- Cell phones should not be used to transmit confidential student or personal information either verbally or written.
- Employees are prohibited from using a cell phone while driving as part of their work duties, unless in the case of an emergency, unless the vehicle has come to a complete stop and the gear is in park.
- Cell phones are provided specifically to carry out official school district business when other means of communications are not readily available. These devices may not be used for routine personal communications.
- Personal use of school district-provided cell phones is limited to making or receiving calls for emergency and/or incidental purposes. Whenever possible, such calls should be made or received on school district or other public telephones.
- Employees issued a cell phone are responsible for its safekeeping at all times. Defective, lost or stolen cell phones are to be reported immediately to the superintendent who will in turn notify the service provider. Reckless or irresponsible use of school district equipment, resulting in loss or damage may result in the employee having to reimburse the school district for any associated costs of replacement or repair.
- Cell phones and any other school district issued communication equipment issued for employees are to be returned to the board secretary at the conclusion of the school year, activity or as otherwise specified or immediately upon request.
Cell Phone Authorization - School district provided cell phones may be purchased and authorized for staff use in accordance with the following guidelines:
Cell phones may be assigned or made available on a temporary basis, by the superintendent, when it is determined:
- The assignment of a cell phone device to the employee is a prudent use of school district resources;
- The employee's job responsibilities requires the ability to communicate frequently outside of district property and/or regular district hours.
- The employee's job involves situations where immediate communication is necessary to ensure the safety of individuals and security of school district property.
Cell Phone Business Procedures
School district employees may be reimbursed for use of privately owned cell phones to conduct school district business in accordance with board policy and this regulation, with prior approval of the superintendent.
- Requests for reimbursement for authorized use of employee owned cell phones are to be submitted on school district provided forms accompanied by a copy of the billing statement with the school district business related calls highlighted. A notation for each highlighted entry, indicating the nature of the call is required. The employee’s immediate supervisor must sign-off on the billing statement verifying the calls were school district business related. School district reimbursement for authorized use of employee owned cell phones will be made in conformance with school district payment procedures. Requests for reimbursement, including the highlighted billing statement must be submitted within thirty (30) days of the end of the time period for which reimbursement is requested. Requests submitted after the reimbursement deadline has passed will be denied.
- If personal calls are made on a district-owned phone and the calls result in an additional plan charge to the district, the calls must be itemized and reimbursed to the district.
- Series 400 Staff Personnel