There may be occasions when we need to cancel school due to inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances. We fully understand the stress and uncertainty that schedule changes can cause families, and whenever possible, we will maintain a normal school day. However, student safety is always a top priority, and when necessary the District will announce school closures. Under certain circumstances, we may announce a two hour late start.
School closings or postponements will be announced using local media outlets, the District website, official District social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, & Twitter), and through our phone, text, and email messaging notification system.
When school is closed due to inclement weather or other unforeseen circumstances, Lewis Central will make efforts to make up these educational opportunities. Any days that would need to be made up will occur at the end of the school year. At this time, we do not anticipate using "e-learning" or "remote learning" days during inclement weather unless we are faced with disruptions for an extended period of time. Required learning at home would have to occur with some advance notice so we can ensure students have the necessary learning materials.
Late start days will begin exactly two hours later than the normal school start time. When weather permits for a later start, the streets, sidewalks and parking lots can be better cleared and rush hour traffic can be complete. Late start days will be announced in the same manner as school closings.
- Why are we having a late start day?
- What is the school scheduling time for students on a late start day?
- Will transportation be provided on a late start day?
- Will the District provide supervision if I drop off my child(ren) at school early on a late start day?
- Will students be required to attend extracurricular activities on late start days?
- Will preschool students attend on late start days?
- Will Lewis Central Lucky Children (LCLC) be affected by late start days?
- Will there be breakfast and lunch on late start days?
- When do Lewis Central employees report on a late start day?
- Will students have to make up instructional time lost on a late start day?
If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to contact the ERC at 712-366-8202.
If you know someone who does not have access to the internet, we've made this page a PDF. Please click here and print off a copy for them.