Policy 501.8 - Non-Resident Students - Tuition


Students who are eligible to attend an Iowa public school but who are not legal residents of the school district may be admitted into the school district at the discretion of the superintendent upon application and payment of tuition. The tuition rate is the current per-pupil cost of the school district as computed by the board secretary and as authorized by the Iowa Department of Education.

Resident students whose families move from the school district after the start of a school year and who wish to complete the school year in the school district must complete open enrollment paperwork. Students who plan to open enroll to the nonresident district may complete the school year without approval of the superintendent or board. These students, other than students in grades eleven and twelve, must have the recommendation of the principal, as well as an adult who resides in the school district, identified for purposes of administration.

Students in grades eleven or twelve who are no longer residents of the school district, but were residents in the preceding school year, may continue to attend school until they graduate without the payment of tuition. These students must have an adult, who resides in the school district, identified for purposes of administration.

Modified:5/22/89; 07/19/99; 03/17/03; 11/02/15
Reviewed:4/11/94; 06/28/99; 03/03/03; 09/13/10; 10/19/15

Legal Reference:Code of Iowa 282.1, .2, .6, .7, .24; 257.6 (1993).
Lakota Comm. Ind. School v. Buffalo Center-Rake Comm. School, 334 N.W.2d
704 (Iowa 1983).
Mt. Hope School Dist. v. Hendrickson, 197 N.W. 47 (Iowa 1924).
Oshel v. Creston Comm. School Dist., DPI Admin. Doc. 570 (1981).

Cross-Reference:Series 501 Student Attendance

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.